Beechmont Recreation Arts & Sports Association
Code Of Conduct
By being accepted as a member of Beechmont Recreation, Arts & Sports Association (BRASA), a person accepts responsibility and agrees to the consequences of any breach of the Code of Conduct. These may include:
• Suspension or termination from the association
• and/or legal proceedings – civil or criminal for conduct unlawful under State or Federal Law.
(a) Key Principles
Membership of BRASA is a privilege that must be safeguarded by the following principles:
1. BRASA seeks to operate in an environment where people show respect for others and their property. Respect is defined as consideration for the wellbeing of another’s body, emotions and possessions, to ensure no damage or deprivation is caused to any of them.
2. BRASA seeks to operate in an environment that is free from harassment. Harassment is defined as any action directed at an individual or group that creates a hostile, intimidating or offensive environment.
3. BRASA seeks to operate in a non-discriminatory environment. By this it is meant, an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity and receives a fair go in accordance with the law as well as the Constitution, Rules, By-Laws, Procedures and Guidelines of BRASA.
(b) Unsuitable Behaviour
A member BRASA will not indulge in behavior that is regarded as unsuitable, such as:
1. Discriminating against, abusing, harassing, ridiculing or embarrassing anyone covered by this Code of Conduct
2. Failure to be fair, considerate and honest in all dealings with others
3. Failing to treat all persons with respect, dignity and properly regard their rights and obligations
4. Not respecting the privacy of other persons
5. Exercising victimisation towards others
6. The use of offensive language to any member or visitor attending BRASA premises/grounds or any of their events
7. ‘Sledging’ (as in denigrate and/or intimidate) other persons
8. Excessive use of alcohol and/or acting in a way that becomes a public nuisance or creates a public disturbance
9. Not following Liquor Licensing Laws at all times
10. Allowing persons under the age of eighteen to purchase, to be served or to receive alcohol
11. Failure to obey lawful directions from a BRASA volunteer/employee/officer or affiliated associations/clubs
12. Members not accepting responsibility for their guests at all times
13. Falsely representing BRASA in any dealings, unless authorised by BRASA
14. Allowing the use or encouragement of illegal drugs within the premises/grounds of BRASA
15. Assaulting, or acting with aggression toward any other person
(c) BRASA intends to set the highest standards of excellence by displaying values of:
1. Equality – demonstrate awareness of individual rights, opinions and beliefs
2. Reliability and dependability in all aspects of the association’s environment
3. Respect and courtesy at all times to all BRASA officials, members and patrons
4. Non- prejudicial behaviour
5. Maturity and acceptable social behaviour while at BRASA grounds or attending any BRASA event
6. Mindfullness of actions in relation to individual safety and the safety of all others involved in BRASA
7. Conduct in a proper manner to the complete satisfaction of BRASA and its members, so as not to bring members or BRASA into public disrepute or censure
8. Refusing to disclose to any unauthorised person or organisation information that is of a confidential or privileged nature concerning BRASA
9. Understanding the possible consequences of breaching BRASA’s rules and regulations.
Parents and guardians at all times shall be responsible for the behaviour of their children on BRASA premises/grounds and at BRASA events. Parents and guardians of children whose behaviour is socially unacceptable shall be requested to remove them from BRASA’s premises.
Any alleged breach of the above principles is to be reported to BRASA for action. The BRASA Committee will determine if there has been a breach and may warn or initiate disciplinary action against the relevant member. Any disciplinary action will be in accordance with the Constitution and Laws applying to BRASA.
This code is to be read in conjunction with the Constitution, Rules, By-Laws, Procedures and Guidelines of BRASA.
Members are reminded that the purpose of this Code is to provide you with an enjoyable and safe environment, where you are able to enjoy being a member of Beechmont Recreation, Arts & Sports Association.
Version1, 4 April 2015