Letter sent to Hall on Graceleigh Committee:
13th March 2015
To the Beechmont Hall Committee c/o Beechmont State School Beechmont Road
RE: Use of Hall on Graceleigh
BRASA is fully behind the Hall on Graceleigh and fully appreciates that it is a great local community asset. However, there are a number of issues that need to be addressed, as BRASA wants to see the Hall sustainable in the long-term. Matters that BRASA would like to see addressed are:
1. BRASA representation on the Hall Committee
BRASA should be able to appoint a delegate to represent BRASA at Hall Committee meetings. Would Virginia West and Belinda Coulahan, who are the current Lessor and Lessee representatives please confirm this?
2. Hall Access
Whilst it has been several years since the opening of the Hall, procedures for using the Hall are not clear and simple.
These need to be addressed as a matter of urgency. Currently, when a member of the community wishes to hire the Hall on Graceleigh, they need to ring Beechmont State School, request information and have details sent to them, etc; a time consuming process. If such procedures were adopted, the load would also be lightened on Beechmont State School’s staff. At the very least there should be:
- Simplified procedures for general community to access the Hall
- Expedient and friendly processing of requests
- Procedures, Policies, Forms and Hire Charges to be published on BRASA’s/school’s website enabling anyone wishing to book the Hall to be able to review the charges, procedures, insurance requirements and complete a booking form
- Hire of the Kitchen to be simplified (one local couple gave up after months of endeavours of wanting to use the kitchen to manufacture products for markets). This is particularly relevant as it was the Beechmont Community who donated the moneys to install the
- Procedures for access request Out of school periods
If members of BRASA (current joining fee of $2.00), do they need to seek permission from BRASA? Are they covered by BRASA’s insurance? If so; this would simplify the insurance dilemma.
Also there needs to be verification of facts around an edict put out by the Education Department (that was apparently read by Kim Sami) that the insurance policy can be relaxed on a case by case basis. This information has not been formally communicated to BRASA. Please confirm DET’s position on this matter and have it published for all potential hirers to see; noting person able to make this relaxation.
4. BRASA social club.
As a sub-committee of BRASA, social club members may wish to play sport including futsol/indoor soccer inside the Hall On Graceleigh Park. This was banned by the Department of Education in the past. Yet it is a sporting hall and public liability insurance does not cover playing sport. The local community paid for the special floor surface to enable such sports to be played. We need to be assured that sport is allowed to be played in the Hall.
Where does revenue from the Hall on Graceleigh go? Does it go into the Beechmont State School Budget/Pool or into another DET Pool? If the expenses come out of Beechmont State School’s budget, BRASA is willing to consider the following:
- Set Up a Sub-committee/ private person to advertise and co-ordinate events, functions,conventions, weddings etc for both Graceleigh Park and Hall on The sub committee/private person would receive a set fee.
- To enable this to occur, the facility would need to be upgraded (eg. lining of Hall) and extensive advertising /co-ordination. BRASA would consider proposals from the P&C regarding grantsand resources to enable these events to occur at the
6. Hall Hire
Can BRASA sub-hire the Hall? eg. BRASA promotes a sporting event, charges the event for all of Graceleigh Park and then pay DET the hiring fees?
7. Internet Access
There is none at the Hall. This would be critical if the hall is to be used for functions or conventions.
- The size of the roof of the Hall would enable the installation of a large rainwater It would be an overflow from the existing tank. BRASA would consider funding this improvement if the tank were to be located on land other than Lease A which is rented by DET. BRASA needs permission from DET to do this.
- Formal clarification is required from DET regarding use of water from the existing tank by groups using the Hall or Graceleigh
If the rumours are true that BER halls around Australia are to adopt the Beechmont model, then surely the Beechmont model should be working properly. The operators of the Hall must be seen to be allowing the general public reasonable access (as per the lease agreement) in an easy friendly and professional manner. We look forward to working with you on this matter.