Beechmont Recreation Arts & Sports Association (BRASA)
has a net worth of approximately $360,000 plus $50,000 in fixed assets. These funds came mostly from the sale of Beechmont Hall in 2012.
As a resident of Beechmont Mountain, you are a stakeholder.
BRASA’s executive committee has released a comprehensive survey below, which it hopes will lead towards the creation of a strategic plan reflecting the wishes of the association’s membership.
The survey is open to the whole community and membership to the association is open to all Beechmont Mountain residents.
Membership forms can be obtained from the brasainc.com website.
The survey can be accessed by scrolling down to the link at the bottom, the Beechmont Community Facebook page and the brasainc.com website.
To provide clarification and assistance, some important facts and notes have been outlined below.
For access to more detailed information, such as the association’s lease agreements and its constitution etc., BRASA committee member Tom Blake has compiled an information pack which can be found on the brasainc.com website under the BRASA tab on the opening page.
Please email any further information or changes you might want to add email@example.com
The current BRASA management committee is committed to assisting all of its member clubs and organisations in their efforts to obtain available grants.
For example, most grants provide 80% of the project cost and require the recipient to put in the remaining 20%.
Depending on the project this can be derived from volunteer labour and/or funds.
When multiple grants being applied for, it will be a decision for the membership to prioritise and vote upon.
The Hall On Graceleigh (The Hall) has been the source of much contention in the community. It is true that the Hall is owned solely by the Department of Education and Training (DET); it is also true that it does not come under BRASA’s lease agreement, and there are those in the community who believe that BRASA should not have to deplete its funds to improve it.
The current committee however, believes that if any community group or club currently using the Hall wishes to apply for any available grants to improve it, then it is only fair and equitable they should receive the same assistance and consideration from BRASA as any other member clubs or groups.
- BRASA holds $360k in funds and another $50,000 in assets. This money was donated to BRASA from the old Beechmont Hall Committee. The money came from the sale of the old hall and many years of local community fundraising.
- The Hall is owned by the DET and they own any improvements made to it until the end of the lease, at which time the assets revert back to theScenic Rim Regional Council (SRRC).
- The SRRC holds all of Graceleigh Park -including the land The Hall sits upon- in trust for the state government.
- The SRRC has leased the land, on which The Hall sits, to the DET on a 30-year basis.
- This lease agreement dictates the DET must use reasonable endeavours to make the premises available for use by members of the general community. However such third party use will be in accordance with any of their relevant policies.
- A substantial amount of money ($40-50,000) has already been spent by BRASA on the current kitchen and other equipment at The Hall.
- The current BRASA constitution was created and adopted in 2013 when at the time the association had only 13 members.
- In late 2013 several community groups appealed to the SRRC to intervene in a dispute over memberships being closed to the community. The SRRC appointed a consultant and a historical membership drive took place. The membership was boosted to 250 with the current figure standing at 281.
- Memberships are now open to the whole community and will remain so.
- BRASA as per the lease agreement has no management responsibility or control over the The Hall and its access to the community
- All revenues in relation to The Hall go to the DET and not to BRASA or the community.
- At the time of writing the operating costs for The Hall, which exceeds any incoming revenues, are paid for by the DET.
- BRASA is just one of the users of The Hall. There is no other formal affiliation.
- BRASA objectives are (but not restricted) to
- promote the use of The Hall and to help in raising funds to improve it
- promote recreational, sports and arts activities on Beechmont mountain; not restricted to Graceleigh Park
- manage Graceleigh Park
- BRASA has a lease agreement with the SRRC dating back to 1990. The lease covers Graceleigh Park, its facilities and the buildings on it.
- BRASA is hoping to be able to use part of the parkland immediately to the north of Graceleigh Park. This parkland has been transferred from the Beechmont Rise developer to SRRC.
WHERE THERE ARE MULTIPLE PERSONS PER EMAIL ADDRESS PLEASE CLICK THE SURVEY ONCE PER PERSON
TO ENTER THE SURVEY PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION!!!